I call these Snowed In Pretzels since they are the perfect food to make during a winter storm. Warm carbs are like a comforting blanket against the cold, and a girl’s got all day for bread to rise when she can’t leave the house. I have my friend, Seang C. Lee to thank for giving me the best pretzel recipe.
3-4 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups Warm Milk
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp Salt
Water Bath Solution:
4 cups Water
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Melted butter
Course salt, nuts, cinnamon sugar, etc…
1. Combine flour and salt (Start with 3 cups) in a large mixing bowl.
2. Heat the milk in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.
3. Add yeast and sugar to warm milk. Stir and let sit for 3 minutes.
4. Pour milk and yeast mixture into large mixing bowl with flour. If using stand mixer, start with speed 1 until mixture is slightly incorporated, then use speed 2 to continue kneading the dough until smooth and no longer sticky to the touch. If kneading by hand, mix well with rubber spatula, then knead until smooth dough is formed and no longer sticky to the touch.
5. Once dough is formed, place in a well-greased bowl. Cover and let rise for at least 2 hours.
6. After 2 hours, take out the dough. Place dough on a clean working surface and knead the dough for roughly 30 seconds. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each into a 36 inch rope. Form pretzel shape or any desired shape.
7. In a large frying pan, add the water and baking soda. Stir on medium heat until baking soda is dissolved. Turn off the heat.
8. Quick dip the pretzels into the water bath solution, then place them on a lined cookie sheet.
9. Add desired toppings: Course Salt, Sugar & Cinnamon, Nuts, etc.
10. Bake on center rack at low broil for about 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown (Or bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes).
11. Melt butter in microwave for about 30 seconds the first time. Stir, and continue in 10 sec intervals until melted.
12. Brush pretzels with the melted butter.
These are just as good as mall pretzels, but even better since they have homemade charm and you won’t have to leave the house. Or, in my case, you can’t leave the house.